Tuesday, December 6, 2011

800m relay - how should I pace myself?

On Wednesday I'm running in a relay race. It's the freshman division 4x800m relay race. I am the anchor, and the girl who is going before me is kind of slow. I'm gonna have a lot to catch up, and I don't want to finish last.


How should I pace my race?


I have a good sprint, but I get tired easily. Tips?|||Preparation outside practice:





You need to combine strength training with cardio to see optimum results in your performance. Do pushups, crunches, lifts, etc.; you can find variations of such strength exercises online. Variety is beneficial; it will truly challenge your body and take it to limits it has never reached.





800m on race day:





Everyone paces oneself differently. If you're allowed to cut in right after the gun goes off, make sure you get a good start; don't let anyone elbow you in an attempt to push you back. If anything, elbow others:) Start out at a fast jog, and take it up a notch after the 200 mark. After your first 400, just hang in there; try not to slow down. When you come to your last straightaway, give it all you've got left. There's no one way to run for everybody; each person has his/her strengths and weaknesses. Try not to let yourself get psyched out. One saying I like to run through my head is "Pain is weakness leaving the body". It's a saying by the Marines, and it's great to think about when you're feeling mentally and/or physically exhausted during a race.





I ran the 3rd leg of the 4 x 8 the other day. I was terrified because I am primarily a sprinter/hurdler, and I was put in the relay as there was no one else available who could run my time or better. I was to hand off to Shelby Greany, who's nationally ranked in pretty much every distance event and somewhat of a celebrity in the tri-state area. Her PB is something like 2:14, which is an incredible time for a junior girl. I ran my first lap in 69, which I think was too fast for the first lap. I did run a PB, though, of 2:32.7, so I was happy. Just keep on pushing through the race; don't let your mentality go down and you'll do great!





Good Luck!|||In the first lap, (first 2 if indoor) go at a steady pace, and make sure you don't use up all of your energy. In the beginning of the second lap (third lap if indoor) start to speed up but still, don't waste to much of your energy. In the last part of the second lap (fourth lap if indoor) sprint out all of the way and put forward all of your energy. Hope I helped- I do track and this is the technique I use when I run.|||This is one of the races i run. Make sure when you come around the curve you dig deep in the track and push hard off of it. Hug into the curve, too. Try bringing in your right arm (as you're running), so that youre not running in a straight line.


Since youre anchor, you should be able to sprint the whole thing. Make sure you use good running form. On the straight a-way, pump your arms, ear to pocket.





Hope this helped. . . :)|||don't completely sprint it, try long strides and cover as much ground as you can without getting more winded than you can handle. when it gets to the end, give it all you have because once you get to the finish line you don't have any more time to run, and that could be good or bad. Good Luck! (:|||try running at a slightly fast, maybe 5.30 mile, steady pace.





ANSWER MINE! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AuE1.VD3j3SZ.06vWSkZVBoazKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20100117165044AArbKGE|||what ever speed that you start with you should pick the speed up on the second lap and then even more when you are 200-100 meters from the finish|||go gradually to the last 200m and give all you got

No comments:

Post a Comment