Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What is the significance of race/sex in the medical field?

I watch a lot of medical shows, and I noticed that the race and sex of the person is used when relaying information over.





I was wondering what the reason for this is. Does anyone know?





I figured it might be so that the people waiting at the ER can be on the look out, but I don't know. I'm curious.|||Certain conditions are more common in some races. Some cultures have certain beliefs which could be important. Some conditions are gender-specific. Pregnancy is a possibility for women of reproductive age.|||I don't know about TV medical shows since that is just Hollywood, but race and sex are important to know because of the prevalence of some diseases. Certain diseases affect black people more, certain diseases affect females more, etc. It is important to know a complete history including these two pieces of information to initiate the proper care of the patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment