Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Any tips for the 800 meter relay?

I've made the 4X800 meter relay team at my high school, but don't have an official time yet for the 800 meter run. (My coach put me in this based off my 5:18 mile time.)





Any tips on the pace and the race overall?|||I do the 4x8 as well! The 800 is faster than a jog but slower than a sprint. When you run, make sure your breathing is steady. And, along with track, i do cross country and we are supposed to sprint the beginning and end so that is what i do in the 800.





I start off at maybe 90-95 percent for the first 100 meters to position myself than slow down and run the last 600 maybe about 65-75 percent. And the final 100 I start sprinting as well, but at full speed.





My 4x8 team did that for our meets and we only lost once. We all did the sprint at the beginning, sprint at the end thing, so I would suggest that. And if you don't want to tire yourself out greatly near the beginning, you might just want to sprint the first 50m and then the last 100m.





Apart from the sprints, the pace is very steady. You need to keep your breathing steady as well (as I mentioned above)





And you need to know how to pass the baton, but your coach will show you how to do that most-likely.|||Well of course the race is gonna start fast when they pull the trigger. Get yourself into a steady but fast pace, if you can run a 5:18 mile then you know what I'm talking about. What i do is get progressively quicker. You want to pick up the pace on the second lap and surge into a sprint to finish. For the hand offs, make sure your arm is out and you're not gonna want to hold your hand out flat, u gotta hold it out like you're gonna grab it, make sure u take it from you're team mate. Remember that, your taking the baton from him. It's really important that you work on hand offs as much as possible.|||well the 800meter is basically sprinting the whole two laps...i say u should push kind of hard at the beginning when u take off and then slow it down some kind of and when u hit the next lap start pushing it and when u hit the last 100meters then just sprint 100% :)

No comments:

Post a Comment