Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How to drink during a race?

I usually go for 1mile-5k races, but I have two buddies who want me to join them in a marathon relay every September... I have to run the first leg (9 miles) and when I ran last year, my main problem was drinking water during the race. For 1mile-5k, who needs water... but for 9 miles, I felt like I needed to start hydrating after the first 3 miles. They hand out those little water-filled paper cups every mile, but I can't get but a few drops of those into my mouth while I'm running... So, my three choices really are:


a.) Like others do, stop for about 5 sec to actually take the cup and be able to drink all the water. Do this about 5 times during the race. Downside: Obviously, 5*5 is 25 sec lost.


b.) Bring a bottle with me. Downside: I've never ran with a 2lb thingy strapped to me. Won't I lose time?


c.) Just run 9 miles straight through.





Last race, I pretty much ran the 9 straight through, and it was OKAY, but I feel like I'm better off hydrating some. What is the best way?|||I think you're on the right track - that your two options are to sort of quickly throw the water into/around your mouth in one running motion, hoping to get most of it in, or to stop for a few seconds to drink the glass. What I do with the water depends on how I am feeling when I get to the water station. If I am feeling pretty good up to that point, I just splash up the water and usually get most of it in my mouth. If I'm feeling more tired or excessively hot, I will grab two cups, take a short stop, and drink the water. It doesn't really take that long, probably more like 3 seconds, which you would make up by finishing stronger.


I would recommend against taking a water bottle with you, simple because that extra weight is too much if you really are trying to go fast.


P.S. - if it's not that hot, and you are really worried about time, you can certainly train to go 9 miles without taking water during the race|||Here's what I do:


a) drink water from a disposable water bottle (like a 500ml, $1 bottle from a convenience store) up until 5 minutes before the race. then, throw this bottle away (to a friend; in garbage)


b) carry a second bottle the same. drink it over 2-3 stops between miles 3-7. then, throw it away and finish with what's in your body. you don't need to stop for water in the last 10-15 minutes. Practice running with a water bottle in your hand ... I find it quite easy now, but weird when I started.


c) drink a lot at the finish. have a litre or two waiting for you.





whether i drink from a dixie cup or a water bottle, I always walk. walking can be more than 50% of the speed of running. That said, I don't walk for 5 seconds ... maybe 15. but if you're walking you can grab two dixie cups and slosh 'em back in 15-20 seconds ... and probably only lose 10 seconds. Marathon times for world class runners can vary by 5-20 minutes, depending on how their race goes, so if you're concerned about 25 seconds, it sounds like you're obviously more paranoid than those who win Olympic gold.





Furthermore, walking for 15-20 seconds can flush lactic acid out of your legs, giving you a bit more endurance. I always find it easy to catch up to a pack when I've been walking.|||It depends on the temperature and humidity as to whether you need to drink during a 9 mile run.





If you need some water just do what is necessary, stop, walk until you gulp it down, or whatever.





Be careful you do not drink too much, if it is sloshing around inside it can cause problems.





I think about 4 ounces is all I can drink without causing some distress.|||If you don't want to stop or carry a small bottle with you on a belt try this. Slow down a bit when approaching the aid station, grab the cup, squeeze it so you have a V towards the mouth side of the cup. The V will allow you to more easily poor the liquid into your mounth. Remember to swallow and not breath when you drink :)|||I was watching the Indy500 mini on TV this may. They said that it is a good idea to get a drink at most of the stations. They suggestion that the time spent walking will actually help you run faster later in the race. I would go ahead and walk a little bit each 3 mile or so to catch up while enjoying a beverage.





http://www.500festival.com/marathon/Trai鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment